Delicious Vegan Pot Pie
When we were younger, my mom used to make delicious chicken pot pie. My favorite dish from my childhood, by far. She would mix everything together in this big bowl. Then, Jessie, our brother, and I would all scrape the bowl with a spoon. Growing up, I think my mom made one at least every week or so. Not to mention, every year on the first day of school, we made one for all of our new teachers. As an adult, I began to veer away from eating meat. Regardless, this meal has lingered in my head for years. Unfortunately, I have tried to replicate it with vegan ingredients too many times without success. Needless to say, I was so happy when I found this delicious vegan pot pie recipe!
Originally, I found this recipe here. Regardless, I have changed it slightly, and you can always add in whatever extra veggies you like! Personally, I prefer to have a little bit of spice to my pot pies, so I always add some cayenne or chili powder to the filling. In addition, it keeps well in the fridge, and you can always build the pie to bake later. Sometimes, it’s helpful to put a pie in the oven after a long day and not have to worry about cooking! It has become such a staple in my meal planning, and I hope you all enjoy it, too.
- 1 Cup of Chopped Carrots
- 1 Potato, Cubed
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped Celery
- 1 Cup of Frozen Peas
- 1/3 Cup of Vegan Butter
- 1/2 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1/3 Cup of Flour
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Chili Powder or Cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Celery Seed
- 1 and 3/4 Cups of Vegetable Broth
- 2/3 Cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Unbaked Pie Crusts
- First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees, and put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. While that heats up, chop all of your produce. Then, add your potatoes, carrots, and celery to the boiling water.
- Next, heat the butter in a large skillet. After melted, add in the onions and garlic powder, and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Now, add in the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, and celery seed, and use a whisk to mix.
- After combined, add the vegetable broth and almond milk. Whisk consistently on medium/low heat for about five minutes or until the mixture thickens considerably. Then, take it off the heat, and set aside.
- The vegetables should be nearly cooked by now. Next, add in the frozen peas, and allow to boil for another minute.
- Now, drain the vegetables, and mix them into the vegetable broth mixture.
- Pour your filling into the bottom pie crust.
- Next, place the top pie crust over the filling, and pinch along the edges to seal it. Additionally, be sure to cut a few slits in the top of the crust to allow heat to escape.
- Finally, bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is browned!
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links that give us a small monetary percentage if you make a purchase through them. Regardless, we do not advertise any products we do not love. We are not influenced by these links, and you can buy through them with no additional cost to you. These links help us maintain the growth of our blog. Thanks for all your support!